Apple’s (AAPL) Apple store came up late, about 12:10 AM Pacific time, and within 15 minutes supplies of most models of the new Apple Watch collections were no longer available for the April 24 initial availability date.
As was to be expected, different models fared better or worse than others.
By 12:50 AM:
- Most of the 38mm Sport collection were still available on 4/24, but all the 42mm models were 4-6 weeks,
- Of the middle line Apple Watch collection, only one model was still available by 4/24, most in 4-6 weeks, and 4 of the most expensive models not until June.
- The gold Edition collection watches are even harder to get with 3 models available in July, and the other 5 not until August.
In mid February, the Wall Street Journal reported:
- Apple has asked its suppliers in Asia to make a combined five to six million units of its three Apple Watch models during the first quarter ahead of the product’s release in April, according to people familiar with the matter. [italics added]
The report continued:
- Half of the first-quarter production order is earmarked for the entry-level Apple Watch Sport model, while the mid-tier Apple Watch is expected to account for one-third of output, one of these people said.
If the Edition collection accounts for one sixth of production, as suggested, then that would be close to one million of these high priced units and alone would bring in over $10 Billion.
Oddly – there have been unexpected changes
As time went on, however, it seems that availability for at least the gold Edition collection improved again. The same watch listed above with August shipping, at 1:50 AM, an hour later, showed June availability. It is possible that Apple is releasing certain ones slowly into the order system so that they do not all go to the earliest shoppers. In particular, it is possible they want to stymie the speculators.
- Still, none of the Edition collection are available earlier than June and a few in July (1:45 AM).
- Sport collection – none available until June.
If these delivery dates truly reflect sellouts, then the stock should soar.
Elegant, Handcrafted, Genuine Leather
Soon for iPhone 6 Plus!